Friday, September 3, 2010

PINK SATURDAY SEPT. 4 & GREETINGS FROM THE GREAT LAKES

Hello and Happy Pink Saturday! Stop by to see Beverly of, How Sweet the Sound, our host and you can get a list of all the other participants.

Were off on a road trip to see our grandson graduate from basic training at the Great Lakes Navy Training Center.
My hubby, daughter, son in law and youngest grandson are packed up and headed to Chicago.

Our grandson Joey pictured below (in a highschool pic) said "ship ahoy and joined the Navy" he graduated on Sept. 2 and is now a sailor.





Some of you might remember when I made this yellow ribbon pin (pictured below) when my son Bob left for Afghanistan.
I made two, one for myself and one for my daughter Jen.



Well, I came up with this one to wear to my grandsons graduation. I thought it had a little more of a Navy look to it. I made two of these on the trip to Chicago, one for myself and one for my daughter Jen. Were looking for a little anchor charm to attach to it.


Were headed out of West Virginia.


Arriving in Chicago. Wow what a difference!!!!!!!
OMG this place looks scary!!!! LOL


My daughter found a beautiful waterfront resort (Illinois Beach Resort) for us to stay in, she did great, it's on the outskirts of the city and feels much like "The Jersey Shore" where my husband and I grew up.


I had no idea the Great Lakes looked like this. What a beautiful site it is.


Here's our little Joey when he was about 9 months old.
He was a little ring bearer when he was 10 months old. I made his little ivory satin jumpsuit.

Now here's our little boy all grown up. I can't tell you how proud we are of him. The ceremony was just amazing. The Navy put on a superb ceremony. Something I will never forget.
We are spending five glorious days with him.
Were all having a fabulous time and were making memories to last a lifetime.
Joey starts dental school on Tuesday, his dream is to become a dentist one day.

Below is Joey and his brother Mike on the beach behind the resort where we are staying. The water is crystal clear.
They have been swimming in the pool, fishing, sauna, weight lifting, hot tubbing and hitting all the local restaurents.
Below is a pic from the graduation, I will post his portriat next week along with some more pics.


We love you Joey and are so proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!! Many blessings to you for a wonderful future!!!



Thank you so much for letting me share these special times with you. Not much pink but I'm sure you will still enjoy my excitement to share these special times with all my blogging friends.
Blessings for a wonderful week! Shirl

18 comments:

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Ah, yes, our families do make us proud, don't they? God bless your young men, Shirl! Happy Pink weekend to you.

Blessings,
Sandi

Annesphamily said...

You have a beautiful family and I see why you are bragging! It brings tears to my eyes. I really enjoyed the post and hope you have a wonderful trip and enjoy the family! HPS to you! Anne

Elaine said...

You must be very proud of all your boys.. I love the ribbons you made..my granddaughter's husband is in Iraq. I live on Lake Michigan.. It is very beautiful in the summer. Tonight we are having strong winds and the waves are crashing against the piers.
Enjoy and have a safe weekend and trip

Laura's Rose Garden said...

Good morning Shirl,
My, what a handsome young sailor! Congratulations Joey, and all the best for your future endeavors.
This was a wonderful post, Shirl. Thanks for sharing.
I am not participating in PS today, but will be back next week. I've been busy revamping some stuff!
Warm hugs, Laura

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Congrats to your whole family on your son's accomplishment!! And i adore those pins that you made!!

Have a wonderful holiday weekend!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Unknown said...

G'morn, Shirl ~ What a wonderful celebration to share in, it is very emotional to see all those military fellas in ceremony. I was reduced to tears for my 2 sons.

May God protect & guide all these young men in their new ventures in life.

Where in WV are you, we are in MD.

Have a beautiful & safe holiday weekend.
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Nancy said...

Thanks to Joey for serving our country and may he stay safe always.

That is one impressive ceremony and whoa - that Chicago does look big and scary! Love your ribbons you made - those are great! xoxo Nancy

Anonymous said...

Hi Shirl! OH, ever reason to be proud of these handsome men!
Hope you're doing well and Happy Pink Saturday.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Laura Quaglia (Fun With This and That) said...

That picture of the ship is wonderful Laura Q

EvalinaMaria said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely pictures. I love your creations!!!Have a great, pink weekend!

Rebecca said...

God Bless him for serving his country! Happy PS

fiberdoodles said...

What fun. Happy Pink Saturday ;0)

D. Jean Quarles said...

Happy belated Pink Day. It looks like you are having a grand time. Such a nice family.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Shirl,
What a fun time and I would be so proud too!
The pins are so cool!
Did you eat any Chicago pizza? It's the best!
Warmly,
deb :)

Lynn-Teacupstitches said...

Hi Shirl!
I so enjoyed sharing in your latest roadtrip!
Congratulations to Joey and may God continue to bless him as he starts on his new journey!!
I love the sparkly patriotic pins you made and hope you can find an anchor charm for that perfect finishing touch!!
Red, White and Blue Hugs,
Lynn

Sherrie said...

Don't apologize for not having much pink. You are a proud mom and I am sure your cheeks glowed a rosy pink with pride seeing your son at the ceremony. I don't blame you for bragging and being proud. All these young people that are in the various branches of the Army and Navy, we should be proud of them all. Happy belated pink saturday to you. Thanks for sharing.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Shirl,
Oh my dear friend what a wonderful and heartfelt post. Congrats to your grandson and the special ceremony. I know you and Jen are beyond proud and rightfully so. Please tell him we are so thankful for his service to our country.

I just love the ribbons you created too. They are wonderful and how special to wear them with pride. Your family is so dear and God has blessed you greatly.

Have a wonderful time in Chicago, You may be back already when you read this, but my thoughts and prayers are with you for special memories and safe travels.

When you have a moment, I am having a visitor giveaway and I hope you can enter sweetie.

Love to you,
Celestina Marie
p.s. love your Autumn header.

Theresa said...

Hi Shirl! That is one handsome grandson you have. His graduation pictures are awesome! I always feel so proud of these young people when I see them gathered together in uniform. It has been said that there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer. God bless every one of them. They are everything that is right with our country. I'm glad you got to spend some time on Lake Michigan. The lakes are amazing, aren't they? We were fortunate enough to be able to spend some time at Lake Erie last month. It's our own little paradise! Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs, Terri